Tuesday, August 28, 2007

File shredders

I am a computer student, to be specific I am a BIM student and I have very keen interest about computers and its working. I am more like a computer freak. Well, it hasn’t been a very long time I’ve been using computers. It was only at the start of my bachelor degree did I bought my computer. Anyways, just after a couple of months of buying the computer, there was a disk failure. The computer won’t boot. I was new to computer so I took my computer back to the retailer and the employee out there said that the OS had crashed and that the hard disk need to be formatted and new OS has to be installed, which he did and my computer was new as ever. It was running smoothly and applications were much faster than before.

One thing I was amazed at that time was that, the person formatted my hard disk but still was able to recover most of my data from it. I mean how could he recover data from a formatted hard drive? It looked insane to me at that time. Then currently during my bachelor degree’s 8th semester one of the teachers taught us that data can be recovered even from formatted hard drive too. They remain in the memory unless they have been overwritten by some other data and if a programmer is very good with pointers and garbage collection and stuffs like that he can recover the needed data. Also there are many third-party softwares that can be used to recover deleted data.

This was a great sigh of relief at one end but at the other end it raised many questions regarding the personal security. What security would there be if even your deleted data can be recovered, isn’t it? If it goes like this then, even after formatting your computer won’t be free of viruses and spy wares. Your personal files and documents can still be recovered even after deletion. There won’t be any security even in your own PC.

File Shredders can be a great help in this case. File Shredder is a computer utility, which helps to wipe files and wipe disk space. It's the most secure way to get rid of files on your hard drive kind of destroying your hard drive. There are many File Shredders available in the market that brag to be the cheapest and the best. But you have to be very careful while choosing a File Shredder for yourself. You have to do a great deal of research before you choose any that are available in the market. It’s not just a software that you are buying, it’s the security of your computer that is in the stake. Some of the popular names of Shredders are Blancco File Shredder, Shred Agent File Shredder, WinShredder File Shredder, etc. Anyways it’s completely dependent on you to choose your shredder but keep in mind to choose the one which really removes everything from your hard drive and helps in keeping your privacy safe.

0 comments: