Thursday, August 23, 2007

MY ATTITUDE TO EXAMINATION

It is really very difficult to define my attitude to examinations. I probe into my mind and ask do I like them? Certainly not, then do I not like them? Well, not absolutely. If I disliked I would surely wish them away completely. But this is not how I feel. Indeed I cannot imagine a student’s life without any such things as examinations. Thus you see my attitude to examination is something very complex, something between liking and disliking. Perhaps a little more inclined to dislike them than to like them.
Examinations are not altogether bad when I am well prepared for them. Then they stir up in me the spirit of competitions, the desire to excel, the anticipation of success. I go to the examination hall as a general goes to the battle field. I have all my wits and weapons ready. Let the questions be what they will, I am eager to grapple with them.Let the examiner be whoever he may be, I am not afraid at all.
Unfortunately, this happens seldom. However, I read well. I am never ready enough. I may have read my books very well but my memory proves a traitor and betrays me at the very hour I need it the most. The figure of my examiner rises before me, and I know nothing can save me. But there are other reasons why I dislike them. They haunt my waking hours, and are a nightmare to me in my sleep. I can’t join the games freely, nor a festive party, nor even a few minutes of innocent gossip.
I am sure examinations deprive reading of much of its joys. What is learnt with joy is learnt with confidence. Examinations shake my confidence in myself and also narrow the range of my studies. I study not to learn but to pass.

0 comments: