Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Psychological consequences of Domestic Violence

Adjustment problems: After being subjected to torture and violence from loved ones and family, victims undergo adjustment problems where they are unable to adapt to situations and surroundings. Trust does not come easy to them and getting involved with the community and getting socially involved becomes difficult.
Anxiety:
A complex combination of the feeling of fear, apprehension and worry often accompanied by physical sensations such as palpitations, chest pain and/or shortness of breath.
Transient Psychosis: A serious but treatable medical condition that reflects a disturbance in brain functioning. A person with psychosis experiences some loss of contact with reality, characterized by changes in their way of thinking, believing, perceiving and/or behaving. For the person experiencing psychosis, the condition can be very disorienting and distressing.
Post traumatic disorder
: A condition characterized by intense fear, helplessness, or horror resulting from the exposure to extreme trauma. The characteristic symptoms include persistent re-experiencing of the traumatic event, persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness, and persistent symptoms of increased autonomic arousal.
Panic disorder: An anxiety illness characterized by chronic, repeated, and unexpected panic attacks - bouts of overwhelming fear of being in danger when there is no specific cause for the fear. In-between panic attacks, persons with panic disorder worry excessively about when and where the next attack may occur.
Depression: More than just temporary blue mood, the despondency of depression is unrelenting and overwhelming. Some people describe it as “living in a black hole” or having a feeling of impending doom. They can't escape their unhappiness and despair.

2 comments:

Miss Lenaiya said...

This is very interesting information, I myself have had massive anxiety for no reason at all, and it's very debilitating. To top it off, An old friend of mine has allowed me to come live with him for a while because I had some strange man try to break in my house, i ran outside when i heard him coming in through the back and he chased me down the street til i couldnt hardly breathe, thankfully i hid behind some bushes and he couldn't find me so he took off. It was very late and dark outside, and it very extremely frightening, and as a result of it, i now suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and i'm afraid to be at home alone at night so i moved in with a male friend that i have known for about 5 years. The thing is, is that he is beginning to display the signs you have listed here under the domestic violence. He doesnt like me to leave the house , and if i do he wont give me a key to get back in, and he usually isn't home when i get back. He doesn't want me to make any kind of money at all. He likes me to depend on him for everything. He tells me he will give me a ride to work, but then doesn't and he knows i need the money, yet he wont allow me to do anything that would earn me any. He tries to keep me down and hold me back, he's thrown glass bottles at me , and pulled out a couple of weapons to intimidate me and scare me, but then tells me afterward that he was just messin' with me and wouldnt ever use them or anything. Sometimes i am more afraid of living here with him, then i was living alone... maybe i would be more safe living alone in my own place than here with him. the chances of someone else breaking in my house or chasing me again are probably not as great as my chances of being harmed by this guy i am living with now. Thanks for the insight on your post... it was an eye-opener and a wake up call. I am glad to have come accross your blog.

Unknown said...

It seems like your problem is very serious. Your friend trying to keep you down - who is he to control you? I think you must take some action soon; else there is chance that you'll be down for ever. Really!!! Take some measures soon before it gets worse.